AWS Import/ExportThu, Jul 13, 2017
AWS Import/Export is a service that accelerates transferring large amounts of data into and out of AWS using physical storage appliances, bypassing the Internet. The data is copied to a device at the source (your data center or an AWS region), shipped via standard shipping mechanisms, and then copied to the destination (your data center or an AWS region).
AWS Import/Export has two features that support shipping data into and out of your AWS infrastructure:
AWS Import/Export can be used for just about any situation where you have more data to move than you can get through your Internet connection in a reasonable time, including,but not limited to:
- Storage Migration: When companies shut down a data center, they often need to move massive amounts of storage to another location. AWS Import/Export is a suitable technology for this requirement.
- Migrating Applications: Migrating an application to the cloud often involves moving huge amounts of data. This can be accelerated using AWS Import/Export.
AWS Import/Export Disk supports transfers data directly onto and off of storage devices you own using the Amazon high-speed internal network.
Important things to understand about AWS Import/Export Disk include:
- to import directly into:
- Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3)
- Amazon Glacier
- Amazon Elastic Block Store (Amazon EBS)
- AWS Import Export Disk enables you to export from S3
- You can import your data into Amazon Glacier and Amazon EBS, in addition to Amazon S3.
- Encryption is optional and not enforced.
- You buy and maintain your own hardware devices.
- You can’t manage your jobs through the AWS Snowball console.
- AWS Import/Export Disk has an upper limit of 16TB.
Snowball is a petabyte-scale data transport solution that uses secure appliances to transfer large amounts of data into and out of the AWS cloud. Using Snowball addresses common challenges with large-scale data transfers including high network costs, long transfer times, and security concerns. Transferring data with Snowball is simple, fast, secure, and can be as little as one-fifth the cost of high-speed Internet.
- Snowball has an 80 TB model available in all regions, and a 50 TB model only available in the US regions.
- You don’t have to buy or maintain your own hardware devices.
- You can manage your jobs through the AWS Snowball Management Console, or programmatically with the job management API.
- Snowball doesn’t support international shipping or shipping between regions outside of the US.
- Snowball uses tamper resistant enclosures, 256-bit encryption, and industry-standard Trusted Platform Module(TPM) that is designed to ensure both security and full chain-of-custody or your data, as well as reduce management overhead involved with transferring data into or out of AWs.
- Snowball Edge
you pay a service fee per data transfer job (plus applicable shipping charges). Each job includes the use of a Snowball appliance for 10 days of onsite usage for free*, and there is a small charge for extra onsite days.
Service Fee per Job
Snowball 50 TB: $200
Snowball 80 TB: $250
Extra Day Charge
First 10 days of onsite usage are free* and each extra onsite day is $15
Data transfer IN to Amazon S3 is $0.00/GB (free) Data transfer OUT of Amazon S3 is priced by region.